lundi 16 août 2010

RALLY DOS SERTOES : LUDO BOINNAR ON HIS WAY BACK HOME - RETOUR À LA MAISON...



Once all was set up for the two Chilenos to wait for the helicopter, I did get going as well.
I caught Tagino really quickly and then caught Dimas a bit later. I stayed in Dimas dust for like 80kms, but instead of playing it safe like the day before, I did a stupid thing. I got frustrated  for slowing down so much and decided to pass Dimas. We were only 20 miles from the refuel so I could have just stayed there and just pass him then. Instead, right after a radar zone, he was so close to me that I chose to go for it. He was finally at striking distance when in the next curve, he hit the brakes really hard cos' it was a curve kind of closing in toward the end of it and I found myself in a big cloud of fesh fesh sand dust, not seeing anything. Once the vision cleared ok, I was on the edge of the trail about to hit a huge rock.

The next thing I remember is my teammate and friend Ramon Volkart above me, helping me to wake up. Tagino was with him also. It took me a few mn to remember what happened and I had apparently passed out for like 5mn.

They were already on the radio with the organizers and had a helicopter on its way.

I was hurting all over, and breathing was painful. Instantly I knew the collarbone was broken and some ribs felt like they were as well.

We had an hour flight to the next town with what resembled an hospital with very limited equipment but the organizer's doctors were always there with us. Once we finished the complete check up and saw on the Xrays that only my collarbone was broken (badly) , I was given some anti-inflammatory and a ride back to the bivouac.

I was sad to have finished this rally so soon, but I deserve this one completely. I should have been more patient...I was not.
In Rally racing, mistakes can be very costly. Once again, I am lucky to have escaped with only this.

Later at the bivouac, when my equipment got delivered, we inspected my Arai Helmet. It clearly is out of service and I am glad I was wearing this brand as I believe they make the safest helmets in the world. My Leatt brace was broken and seeing the marks on my neck, on my shoulders and on my face, I can say that this device has saved my life for the third time. I have chosen a few years ago to never ride an off-road motorcycle without wearing one and this is the smartest thing one can do. Don't settle for another brand, none of them can deliver what the Leatt does....None!

Cheers all, I'm about to fly out of Sao Paulo back to San Diego, time for Surgery with Dr Murphy to plate that collarbone and my buddies at Rehab United for all the rehab work.

As our friend Jordi Villadoms just posted on my facebook, Pharaoh's rally is only 6 weeks away so I got to fix myself really quickly! hahaha!!

Anyway, I miss my kids and my wife and I can't wait to hold them very strong in my arms. :-)

Aucun commentaire: